Arkansas Labor & LicensingArkansas Workers' Compensation Commission

Basic Facts About
Workers' Compensation
in Arkansas

What's New
About Us
Online Searches
Arkansas Code
Rules/Advisories/Fee Schedule
Premium Tax
Basic Facts
Voluntary Drug-Free Workplace
Kids' Chance

Contact Us
What the Injured Employee Should Know:
  • Workers’ compensation coverage is paid by your employer at no cost to you.

  • It is your responsibility to report a work-related accident as soon as it happens.

  • This coverage will pay for reasonably necessary medical care you need if you get hurt or get sick because of an injury on your job.

  • Your employer or its workers’ compensation insurance carrier has the right to choose the doctor who will treat you.

  • Workers’ compensation coverage will also replace part of your lost wages if your doctor says you must be off work for a certain length of time because of a work-related injury or illness.

How to get medical care and benefits:

  • For you to begin getting benefits, your employer must report the injury to its workers’ compensation insurance carrier by completing a First Report of Injury or Illness.

  • Go to the doctor chosen by your employer or your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance carrier.

  • Be sure to do everything possible to cooperate with your employer and its workers’ compensation carrier. If you do not, your benefits may be stopped or delayed. Be sure you:
  • Complete all workers’ compensation forms in a timely manner.
  • Keep all appointments.
  • Report any earnings you get after your injury to the workers’ compensation carrier.
  • Get approval from the carrier before receiving treatment. If you are not satisfied with the doctor first assigned, ask your claims handler or carrier to approve another doctor. You may also write to the Commission to request a Change of Physician.
  • Return to work as soon as the doctor says you can.
  • Keep all records in a safe place for future reference.
  • Be aware that your right to receive benefits and medical care may end if there has not been payment made or necessary medical care provided for a one year period.

What type of benefits can you get?

Medical Benefits

Workers’ Compensation insurance pays for all reasonably necessary medical care related to your on-the-job injury or illness including:

  • visits to an approved health care provider

  • surgery

  • hospital care

  • physical therapy

  • prescription drugs

  • braces and crutches

  • other medical supplies when ordered by your approved physician

Before being treated, be sure you have the approval of your employer’s workers’ compensation carrier. You are not responsible for the doctor bills as long as the carrier approves the doctor you are seeing. If you see a doctor without the carrier’s approval, you may be responsible for the bill. When you receive approved treatment, the doctor will bill the insurance carrier directly. If you are billed, send the bill to your employer or the carrier.

Payment for Lost Wages

If you have to miss work because of a work-related injury or illness, you may be eligible to receive some cash benefits (indemnity benefits). The waiting period for these benefits is seven (7) calendar days and must be at the direction of your approved doctor.

These payments can help you through the period of time you are disabled from your workplace injury or illness. Your coverage begins on the eighth day of partial or total disability. You will be paid for the first seven (7) days only if you are disabled for more than fourteen (14) days. These days do not have to be continuous calendar days.

Additional Information:

If you have further questions, please call the Legal Advisor Division of the Arkansas Workers’ Compensation Commission at the numbers listed below. We can send you our Question and Answer brochure or you can speak directly to a Legal Advisor, unless you are represented by an attorney.



State of Arkansas
Workers' Compensation Commission
324 South Spring Street
P.O. Box 950
Little Rock, Arkansas 72203-0950
Legal Advisor Direct 1-800-250-2511
Legal Advisor FAX 1-501-682-6761

Telephone 1-501-682-3930 / 1-800-622-4472
Arkansas Relay System TDD 1-800-285-1131

For information or comments regarding this site
contact the AWCC Communications Liaison